Yamaha has raised the bar again in the entry sports class with the addition of ABS braking to very popular R3. Sporting a twin cylinder 320 cc engine and an ultra lightweight chassis, the R3 offers a solid combination of class-leading power and light, agile handling. Add in an easy to ride personality and confidence inspiring ABS brakes and you have the perfect recipe for a super fun riding experience !
Performance: Powering the R3 is a 320 cc, DOHC, parallel twin featuring a 4-valve cylinder head, 32 mm throttle body fuel injection and 6-speed transmission. Dig a bit deeper and you will find many of the high tech features found in our R6 power plant inside this engine too. Highway speeds are easily obtainable making the R3 a very versatile machine.
Easy Riding: The R3 has been designed to provide a fun, enjoyable riding experience. To R3 utilizes a lightweight diamond type steel frame which is narrow and compact with a low 780 mm (30.7") seat height. The addition of ABS gives you piece of mind while braking under pressure or in wet conditions.
Key Improvements for 2017
- Lightweight & compact, 320cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), fuel injected, inline-twin cylinder engine. The engine has been designed to provide solid performance right across the rev range, with very linear throttle response, low vibration & excellent fuel economy.
- Downdraft style, compact combustion chamber: 4-valves per cylinder; straight intake path into the combustion chamber for excellent power output; 4-valves per cylinder enhances the low to midrange torque
- The YZF-R3 uses regular 87 octane gas
- Intake valves are 26 mm in diameter & exhaust valves are 22.5 mm: Isonite surface treatment on the valve stems for improved durability & wear resistance; valves feature carbon cutters on the valve stems to help reduce carbon build-up during slower speed operation
- Valve adjustment interval is every 42,000 kms.
- Automatic cam chain tensioner: reduces mechanical engine noise & maintenance
- Lightweight, all aluminum DiASil cylinder (die cast all aluminum cylinder with silicone content): offers outstanding cooling performance / heat dissipation for consistent power delivery; reduces weight since there are no heavy liners & cylinder is made completely of aluminum
- Offset cylinder design: offsets the cylinder 7 mm relative to the crankshaft (to the exhaust side); reduces frictional losses between the pistons & cylinder wall during the power stroke; improved power output & improved fuel economy
- 180 degree crankshaft with uneven firing order: helps reduce "pumping losses" for maximum power output; provides an interesting exhaust note
- Gear driven "primary coupled-force" balancer shaft: reduces engine vibration for excellent rider comfort
- Lightweight forged aluminum pistons: provide fast engine response; reduced weight; reduced mechanical vibration for excellent durability
- Carburized connecting rods (carburizing is a form heat treating): excellent strength & durability
- "Closed loop" 32 mm throttle body fuel injection system: system uses an idle speed controller (ISC) to maintain a steady idle regardless of engine temperature; 12 hole injectors for optimum fuel atomization; system is "tuned" to provide excellent "ride ability" & "linear" throttle control: "closed loop system" uses an oxygen sensor to "sniff" spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions; fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Air box utilizes a viscous paper type air filter.
- Compact, 6-speed transmission: ratios specially designed to suit the character (torque & power) of the engine; 5th & 6th gears are overdrive gears to reduce engine rpms at highway speeds
- Compact, wet-type, multi-plate clutch: ensures consistent, positive shifting; light, easy clutch lever pull.
- Low mounted, 2 into 1 exhaust system: utilizes a short design muffler fitted with a 3-way catalyzer to reduce exhaust emissions; low mounted design centralizes mass for agile handling & lightweight feeling
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI): produces a strong spark for fast starts; provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Easy access spin-on type oil filter & engine oil drain plug: fast & easy oil changes; oil change interval is 5,000 kms after the initial 1,000 km break-in oil change
- Air Induction System (AIS... not ram air): reduces harmful exhaust emissions; injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, further reducing exhaust emissions
- Lightweight, diamond-type, high tensile, steel frame: features an optimized rigidity balance for light, agile handling with excellent stability; engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame design; frame features a mix of both solid & rubber engine mounts; Electrostatic paint helps prevent corrosion
- The riding position is one of the most important features of the R3. Despite its super sport styling the R3 offers excellent rider comfort thanks to its upright riding position.
- Key chassis geometry figures include: 1380 mm (54.3") wheelbase; 25 degrees of rake & 95 mm of trail; 50 / 50 front to rear weight distribution; chassis dimensions and shape have been designed to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity to provide the rider with light, agile handling
- Tapered, long design, high tensile steel swingarm: lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance; excellent rear wheel traction & control
- 41mm KYB conventional style fork offers 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel: plastic chip guards help prevent damage to the fork tubes & seals
- Adjustable Monocross link-less rear suspension with 125 mm (4.9") of wheel travel: features a single KYB rear shock adjustable for 7-positions of spring pre-load; adjustable design allows rider to tailor pre-load settings to match load & road condition
- ABS equipped 298 mm floating front disc brake squeezed by a twin piston caliper: provides solid stopping power; brake force & feel are tailored towards new riders
- ABS equipped 220 mm rear disc is squeezed by a lightweight single piston slide-type caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS): controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass; when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up; ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke mag wheels: reduce unsprung weight for great handling & suspension performance; front wheel size is MT2.75-17 fitted with a 110/70-17 tire; rear wheel is MT4.00 fitted with a 140/70-17 tire; Lightweight hollow axles front & rear.
- Clip-on style handlebars: provide a super sport image but offer a comfortable, more upright riding position since they are mounted above the top triple clamp
- 14-litre fuel tank: offers a slim design with great knee grip; "reserve" portion of the tank is 3 litres (low fuel light will illuminate); tank is steel with tough, yet stylish plastic covers, which can reduce costs in the event of damage
- Separate rider & passenger seats with low 780 mm (30.7") seat height: offer excellent comfort; narrow design rider seat makes it easier to touch feet flat on the ground; passenger seat can be removed & replaced by the optional Genuine Yamaha Accessory rear seat cowl if desired
- Full featured liquid crystal multi-function meter: functions include: centrally located analogue tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since the low fuel went on reserve), clock, gear indicator, plus instant & average fuel consumption; other features include: temperature gauge, oil change indicator & adjustable shift light; back lighting is adjustable
- Race inspired full fairing: provides that eye catching super sport image; helps reduce wind on the rider for a comfort ride
- Reverse slant, dual multi-reflector 55 watt halogen headlights.
- Brilliant, 24 - LED rear tail light: unique running / brake light display
- Helmet holder
- Lightweight aluminum footrests & mounts
- Threaded mounts on swingarm for rear race type stand
- Excessive lean angle sensor... if unit is on its side the engine will shut down
- Lockable steering
- Folding mirrors
- Stylish rear fender extension helps reduce splash in wet conditions
- Lightweight, low-maintenance sealed battery (batteries should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool coupler is located under the passenger seat. This system can significantly reduce diagnostic time in the event of a problem.
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 8-valves (4-valves/cyl), in-line twin
- Displacement: 321cc
- Bore and Stroke: 68 x 44.1 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.2:1
- Fuel Delivery: 32 mm throttle body F.I.
- Estimated Fuel Consumption±: 22.4 kpl / 63.3 mpg (Imp.)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final Drive: O ring chain
- Suspension (Front): 41 mm fork / 130 mm (5.1 in.) wheel travel
- Suspension (Rear): Adjustable Monocross / 125 mm (4.9 in.) wheel travel
- Brakes (Front): 298 mm disc / twin piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Brakes (Rear): 220 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Tires (Front): 110/70-17
- Tires (Rear): 140/70-17
- Length: 2,090 mm (82.3 in.)
- Width: 720 mm (28.3 in.)
- Height: 1,135 mm (44.7 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,380 mm (54.3 in.)
- Rake / Trail: 25 deg. / 95 mm (3.7 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 160 mm (6.3 in.)
- Seat Height: 780 mm (30.7 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 14 L (3.1 Imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 169 kg (373 lb.)
- Colour(s): Matte Black
Every attempt has been made to showcase Canadian versions of our products, but all images, information and specifications may not be exact and are subject to change without notice. Some models may be shown with optional accessories.
Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.