The FZ-09 naked sports roadster has taken the next step in its evolution. Heading an impressive list of changes for 2017 is the addition of confidence inspiring ABS brakes, all- new super aggressive "twin eye" LED headlights and a revised 41 mm inverted fork with compression damping adjustment. The one thing that didn't change is the incredible 847 cc, 3 cylinder engine that is guaranteed to put a grin on your face very time you twist the throttle.
Power: Liquid-cooled 4-stroke, 850cc in-line 3-cylinder fuel-injected engine with a downdraft intake. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low to mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response.
Brakes: The addition of ABS to the dual 298 mm disc, 4 piston caliper up front and 245 mm disc, single piston caliper in the rear gives you piece of mind while braking under pressure or in wet conditions.
Style: The FZ-09 features an aggressively styled twin-eye headlight assembly that gives this best-selling naked sport a more menacing look. The slanting dual headlights are equipped with four LED bulbs, accompanied by dual LED positioning lights.
Key Improvements for 2017
- New assist & slipper clutch
- New traction control system (2 modes plus off)
- Revised 41 mm inverted fork with new compression damping adjustment
- New ABS equipped brakes
- New super aggressive, LED "twin eye" headlights
- New LED position lights
- New radiator side scoops
- Revised seat design
- New LED rear tail light
- New swingarm mounted rear fender & license plate holder
- Slim, compact, 847cc, DOHC, 4- valve, liquid-cooled, 42.5 degree inclined, inline-three cylinder engine. The engine has been tuned to provide plenty of low & mid-range torque with strong yet linear throttle response: 4-valve, downdraft style combustion chamber; excellent torque output... especially in the low to mid rpm range; 4-valve design maximizes flow into & out of combustion chamber; 31 mm intake & 25 mm exhaust valves; valve angle is 26.5 degrees to keep combustion chamber compact; stainless steel valves feature an Isonite surface treatment & carburized tips for excellent durability & wear resistance
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- 120 degree crankshaft: design reduces inertia torque while emphasizing linear torque in response to the rider's throttle action; design has been optimized to achieve strong torque over a broad rpm range; fast, linear throttle response; engine design allows a whole new level of "rider - machine communication"
- Lightweight "coupling force balancer" is used to reduce engine vibration for excellent rider comfort.
- "Fracture split" connecting rods feature a "nut less" design: lower end "cap" of the rod is made from the same piece of material as the upper portion; the 2 pieces are "split" apart using a special fracturing process & then machined; design aids in establishing true big end roundness & greater precision in con rod dimensions for excellent durability despite the high horsepower loads.
- Lightweight, forged, aluminum short skirt pistons: design aids in fast engine response; reduces mechanical vibration; excellent durability
- Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses "liner less" bores: ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight; excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery; coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Offset cylinder design: cylinder is "offset" relative to the crank (toward exhaust side); reduces frictional losses between the pistons and the cylinder wall during the power stroke for improved power output
- One-piece cylinder and upper crankcase assembly: superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member); reduces weight
- Lightweight hollow camshafts: cam profiles are designed for excellent torque in the low & mid rpm range
- Crankcases feature a "Tri-Axis" layout for the crank, main & drive axles: creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back; shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the "sweet spot" of frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
- Closed loop Mikuni, 41mm, throttle body fuel injection system: system uses throttle position sensor (TPS) & acceleration position sensor (APS); injectors feature 12 holes & 20 degree spray pattern; injectors spray fuel directly at the intake valve; "closed loop system" uses an oxygen sensor to "sniff" spent exhaust & automatically adjust the fuel / air ratio for reduced emissions; fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions
- Yamaha Chip Control Throttle (YCC-T): YCC-T electronically controls throttle valves for outstanding throttle response & controllability; YCC-T system provides precise control of intake air volume for a smoother torque curve; ECU that controls YCC-T is capable of responding to changes at a speed of 1000th of a second
- Yamaha D-Mode variable throttle control ... 3 modes available: enables the rider to adjust the performance characteristics of the engine based on riding preferences or riding conditions; standard mode emphasizes very linear throttle & torque feel of the engine; A mode allows the rider to enjoy even sportier engine performance in the low to mid rpms; B Mode reduces throttle response for riding situations that require softer power characteristics, such as slippery or wet conditions; D-Mode button is conveniently located on the RHS handle bar switch gear
- Traction control system with 2 modes plus off: mode 1 provides mid-level intervention (allows some wheel spin); mode 2 provides maximum intervention (no wheel spin); works in conjunction with the YCC-T system (utilizing same wheel sensors as ABS system); system senses when the rear wheel begins to spin & modifies the YCC-T function, ignition timing & fuel injection volume to reduce power & eliminate wheel spin; status indicator / warning light in meter assembly
- Electronic Control Unit (ECU) utilizes a powerful 32-bit processor for fast control of the injection, engine management & ignition processes.
- Air box features dual resonator chambers & unequal internal intake funnel lengths for all 3 cylinders: benefit is a wide torque curve & exciting intake sound that accentuates the exhaust note; viscous paper type air filter is used
- Compact 6-speed transmission: gear ratios are optimized to accentuate the torque & throttle response of the engine; accessory plug & play quick shifter
- Compact, slipper (back limiter) clutch with assist: slipper clutch reduces the negative effects of engine braking on handling & suspension; reduces rear wheel hop/ chatter when decelerating for improved riding performance & smoother corner entries; assist function reduces clutch lever effort by up to 20%
- Revised, compact, low mounted, 3 into 1 exhaust system: stainless steel header pipes with special "Nano-film" coating; muffler is a triple expansion type with a 3-way honeycomb catalyzer to reduce emissions; low mounted design centralizes mass for excellent handling & light weight feeling; revised muffler cover & end cap for improved appearance
- Flat design radiator with new side scoops: protector plate on lower edge of rad prevents small stones from hitting the rad & cooling fan; new side scoops direct air into rad plus adds a styling protector plate on lower edge of rad prevents small stones from hitting the rad & cooling fan
- Wet sump lubrication system with liquid-cooled oil cooler & easy access drain plug & oil filter: liquid-cooled oil cooler maintains stable lubricant temperatures for extended engine life; easy access spin-on type oil filter & drain plug for fast oil changes
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI): produces a strong spark for fast starts; provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Air Injection System (AIS... not ram air) injects fresh air into exhaust ports to fully burn any unburnt fuel, reducing exhaust emissions.
- CF (Controlled Filling) die cast, twin spar, diamond-type, aluminum frame: provides an optimized rigidity balance for incredible sports performance & excellent stability; engine is a stressed member of the chassis, allowing a lighter, more compact main frame; light, agile handling qualities
- Riding position is one of the most important features of the FZ-09 chassis: upright seating position offers a balance between sports handling & excellent rider comfort
- Key chassis geometry figures include: 1440mm (56.7") wheelbase, 25 degrees of rake & 103 mm of trail; front to rear weight distribution is 51 / 49%; lean angle is 51 degrees, highlighting the sporty nature of the FZ-09; chassis dimensions & shape are designed to enhance the qualities of the 3 cylinder engine, to centralize mass & lower the centre of gravity
- Detachable, round tube steel rear sub frame: allows easy access to rear suspension components; reduces costs in the event of damage
- Externally mounted, C.F. (Controlled Filling) die cast aluminum, truss-type rear swingarm: external design means the swingarm mounts on the outside of the frame spars... not the inside; external design keeps unit narrower in the seat - fuel tank junction which influences seat height & makes it easier to touch the ground; lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for superior suspension performance; excellent rear wheel traction & control
- Revised, fully adjustable, 41mm inverted fork offers 137mm (5.4") of wheel travel: spring preload, compression & rebound adjustability; separated adjustments; compression adjustment in right fork, rebound in left fork; inverted design benefits include, reduced "unsprung" weight & reduced fork flex since the larger diameter tubes are gripped in the triple clamps; adjustable design allows the rider to tailor suspension settings to match rider weight, road conditions & riding style to optimize handling & suspension performance
- Lightweight, aluminum upper & lower triple clamps.
- Adjustable link-type Monocross rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel: rear shock adjustments include: 7-steps of spring preload & 3 turns of rebound damping
- New, ABS equipped, dual 298 mm floating front discs squeezed by radial mount, mono-block, 4-piston calipers: radial mount design helps to reduce caliper distortion for improved braking performance; master cylinder uses a 16 mm piston; excellent stopping power & control with good lever feedback
- New, ABS equipped, 245 mm rear disc squeezed by a lightweight single piston, slide-type Nissin caliper.
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS): ABS controlling ECU & hydraulic unit are combined into a single compact unit to reduce weight & centralize mass; when ABS system senses impending wheel lock-up (via active type wheel sensors) it regulates hydraulic braking pressure to the point just before the wheel or wheels lock-up; ABS benefits include; excellent control under hard braking or when braking on wet, slippery or loose surfaces
- Lightweight, cast-aluminum 10-spoke wheels: lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for excellent suspension & handling characteristics; front rim size is MT3.50-17; rear rim size is MT5.50-17
- Conventional, tapered aluminum handlebar: lightweight & strong; offers a comfortable, upright riding position for excellent all day riding comfort; traditional design allows easy replacement to a different "bend" if desired
- 14-litre steel fuel tank: slim design with great knee grip; steel allows use of magnetic style tank bags; reserve portion of the tank is 2.8 litres (low fuel light illuminates); internal electric fuel pump
- Revised one piece, long design rider & passenger seat: seat height is 815 mm (32.1"); dual texture seat cover; revised design offers a more "fit-in" feeling
- Compact, liquid crystal multi-function meter / instrument: functions (all digital) include: bar-style tachometer, digital speedometer, odometer, dual trip meters, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated) coolant temperature, gear indicator, instant & average fuel consumption, intake air temperature, D-mode display & engine trouble diagnostic mode; background illumination is adjustable
- New, super aggressive, LED "twin eye" headlights with LED position lights: compact LED twin headlights (2 - LEDs per headlight); on low beam the inner 2 - LEDs illuminate; on high beam all 4 - LEDs illuminate; LED position lighting below the main twin eye lights (3 - LEDs per strip); LEDs have a much longer service life Vs. conventional bulbs & also use less power; new LED lighting compliments FZ-09's aggressive, lightweight "naked roadster styling"
- New, 4 - LED tail light with unique running / brake light display.
- New, forged aluminum, swingarm mounted rear fender & license plate holder.
- Triple auxiliary DC connectors (2 x 2A & 1 x 5A)
- Lightweight forged aluminum footrests, shifter and rear brake pedal
- Lockable steering
- Excessive lean angle engine cut-out switch (if unit is on its side the engine will shut down)
- Durable "O"-ring drive chain
- Convenient oil level sight glass
- Low-maintenance sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Yamaha diagnostic tool connector
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 12-valve (4-valves/cyl), inline-three cylinder
- Displacement: 847cc
- Bore and Stroke: 78 x 59.1 mm
- Compression Ratio: 11.5:1
- Maximum Torque: 8.9 kg-m (64.3 ft-lbs.) @ 8,500 rpm
- Engine Management: YCC-T, D-Mode & Traction Control
- Fuel Delivery: Mikuni 41mm throttle body F.I.
- Estimated Fuel Consumption±: 18.6kpl / 52.5 mpg (Imp.)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring chain
- Suspension (Front): Adjustable 41mm inverted fork / 137mm (5.4 in.) wheel travel
- Suspension (Rear): Adjustable link Monocross / 130mm (5.1 in.) wheel travel
- Brakes (Front): Dual 298 mm discs / radial mount 4-piston calipers / ABS equipped
- Brakes (Rear): 245 mm disc / single piston caliper / ABS equipped
- Tires (Front): 120/70ZR17
- Tires (Rear): 180/55ZR17
- Length: 2,075 mm (81.7 in.)
- Width: 815 mm (32.1 in.)
- Height: 1,120 mm (44.1 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,440 mm (56.7 in.)
- Rake / Trail: 25 deg. / 103 mm
- Ground Clearance: 135 mm (5.3 in.)
- Seat Height: 815 mm (32.1 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 14 L (3.1 imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 193 kg (425 lb.)
- Colour(s): Bluish Pearl White, Deep Metallic Red
The FZ-09 offers a significant level of power and performance. It is not intended for novice or inexperienced riders.
Every attempt has been made to showcase Canadian versions of our products, but all images, information and specifications may not be exact and are subject to change without notice. Some models may be shown with optional accessories.
Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.